Monday, September 2, 2013

Long division...blech!

When I say "long division" in class, a look of fear and disgust comes across my students' face.  I HATE teaching log division, and it is probably because students coming to 6th grade do not have their multiplication facts memorized.  So in an intervention class, I cross both bridges.  We've worked on x2, x5, x10, x9 (magic 9s), and x6 (with our fingers).  So, that's what we're dividing by.  We're learning it all simultaneously, and kids are starting to realize that "Division is just backwards multiplication, Mrs. Brummett."  WHAT?!?!?!  Amazing that they are coming up with that on their own :)

Here's a look at my foldable/flipbook that we made to put into our interactive notebook.
The front
 
All of the info inside


 
 
The coolest part is that as we are practicing in class, the students are asking "Is it okay if I use me flipbook?"  UM, YES!!!!  PLEASE!  This is probably one of the most useful foldables that we've ever made.  After we made it, we glued it into our ISN.
 
I'm linking up with 4mulaFun.com for this AMAZING Interactive Notebook Linky.  Be sure to check it out!
 
Interactive Notebook Linky Party
 
Happy Labor Day!
 



3 comments:

MS. OCD said...

Perfect! This really helps! I was going to work on something for my kiddos - they are really struggling with long division.

Jennifer Smith-Sloane said...

So in love! This definitely is a weakness of many and don't you love it when the ask to be able use their references?

Costa Rican Teaching said...

My 3rd graders have been struggling with long division because it is a new and challenging concept. We just finished making the books and they loved it. I think it will really help them see each step. Thank you!

Post a Comment