Sunday, July 14, 2013

TPT and Hope Street Group

I am soooo excited :)  I just checked my phone and saw a message from TPT--MY FIRST SALE !!! 

I have for sale two items...I know, watch out!  One is a set of add/subtract two digit whole number place cards, and the other is a set of matching cards of base 10 models, word form, and standard form of numbers.  Check it out at my store: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Erin-Brummett

On another note, I have been MIA from blogging because I have been at a conference this week.  I was selected to be a KY State Fellow for the Hope Street Group, which is a non-profit group that is focused on changing the United States through education, health care, and jobs.  Obviously, my part is involvement in education.  The group has partnered with Kentucky Department of Education to get teacher feedback on the new teacher evaluation that is piloting this year.

How many times have you said (or heard someone say) "those people in ___ don't know what they are doing!  They are just making decisions for teachers without knowing how it affects them or kids."  I know I have!  Being a part of this group is an amazing opportunity to give teachers a voice with the lawmakers and decision makers in the state, and I am excited about changing the face of education.

KY was the first state to roll out the Common Core, and the first to assess on it.  We didn't have any materials or any other states to look to for guidance.  KY also was able to get a waiver from NCLB because of the adoption of CCSS, as well as revamping teacher evaluations.  KY is one of the first states to change the way evaluations are done, shifting from a checklist of "meets expectations."  The whole point of the evaluations is to help all teachers be more effective. 

I have actually written an op-ed article and was published this past week.  Check it out here: http://www.centralkynews.com/theinteriorjournal/opinion/ij-interior-journal-lincoln-ky-letters-to-the-editor-for-july-11-20130710,0,5118697.story?page=2

Thanks for reading :)  Have a happy Sunday!

1 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yay! Congrats on your first sale! I'm not following you via TPT too.

Fifth Grade Wit and
Whimsy

Post a Comment