Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Made It





Today, I am linking up with Monday Made It...so excited to show off my biggest project in my classroom!  Last year, I was graced with an 8 foot long white table in my classroom.  Have no idea how I got that lucky, but I'm not complaining :)  I gave me a TONS of storage underneath, which I was thankful for.  The down-side: looking at it all.  It bugged me all.year.long :( This summer, I vowed to do something about it.

Here is the before:
 



So, I went to Hobby Lobby and searched and searched for fabric that would fit in my classroom.  My decoration is just bright and colorful...no certain colors or theme.  Just colors.  But, I had found these great tubs at Big Lots to store my Math ISNs in, so I needed something to coordinate.
 
After scouring the racks at HobLob, I found a green fabric to match.  Thirty dollars later (which was a hard pill to swallow), I walked out of the store...wish I had known about teacher discount :(

I do not know how to sew.  I own a sewing machine.  It was a gift from my grandmother.  It has been sitting in my floor for a year.  It has never been out of the box.  I decided this was not the time to learn how to sew.  SOOOO, I resorted to using stitch witchery :)

I "sewed" all of the edges of the fabric to have a nice looking edge.  Took quite awhile because I am MAJOR OCD!
 
But, here is the final product:
 
Oh yeah!  Just walking into my room makes me breathe a little easier...until I realize I only have two weeks (14 days) until school starts back :(
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

The Craft of Teaching said...

That looks great! I've never used that type of tape before...looks like a cool tool. :-)

Nichole
The Craft of Teaching

Becca Morris said...

Very nice! It is amazing what happens when you add something that simple. It can really remake a space.

✰Becca
Simply 2nd Resources

Courtney Dimmitt said...

Hi! I'm stopping by from Monday Made It! Stitch Witchery is the absolute greatest thing ever! I use it for so many things! I have a bunch of shelves that are just ugly that I'd like to cover up. I tried using a table skirt from Party City last year and my kiddos destroyed it. I'm thinking I'll go with the fabric this year. Like you, my sewing machine was a gift and it's been sitting in the top of my closet ever since. I don't think I'll be trying to figure it out this summer either! Thanks for sharing!

Lana said...

This looks SO good! I love those Big Lots bins...super cute! I have some in those bright colors, too!

Brandee Green said...

AWESOME! It is amazing how much stuff you can hide behind some fabric in a classroom. :)
~Brandee
Creating Lifelong Learners
Follow me on Bloglovin'

DavaSmithEnglishTeacher said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Follow Dava Smith English Teacher on BlogLovin’

Randi said...

Looks very nice...Summer went waaaay faster this year!?!

SJ said...

Hobby Lobby has a teacher discount? How have I not known this?!

Mrs. Jones Teaches :o)

Karla Williams said...

Great idea! I am sewing challenged, but this is something that I will be doing this summer. Thank you!

Alison said...

OH that looks awesome! Great idea! I've used velcro before around a table, but eventually I had to add hot glue too because it got heavy.
Alison
Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

Susan Cotter said...

How did you attach the fabric to the table?

Post a Comment