Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted Linky

Today, I am linking up with Flying into First Grade for the Let's Get Acquainted Linky Party :)

How it Works:  Look at the graphic below.  It is a Tic Tac Toe board filled with different categories.  You will post about three of these categories but they have to make Tic Tac Toe.  For example, you can choose to write about 3 topics that go vertical, or 3 topics that go horizontal, or three topics that go diagonal. 
 
 
 
I am going to do the middle column.
 
Here goes:  My favorite subject is math in 6th grade.  Since day one of my teaching journey I have been in a 6th grade math classroom in the same school.  I LOVE it!  I can't imagine being in an elementary classroom with the same group of kids all.day.long.  That thought makes me start to break out in hives.  As does being with high schoolers.  And the greatest part of 6th grade is that they are still kind-of babies, but not too much.  They are semi-mini adults, so they are funny too :)  As far as math, I love making it concrete and visual for my kids, because that's what I need.  I'm a little OCD, so I like the fact that it is always black/white, right/wrong.
 
My favorite school memory as a kid has to do with my LEAST favorite memory.  This helps me remember what kind of teacher I want to be to my students.  In the 2nd grade, a little boy kicked me.  I was mortified.  My teacher, in my 2nd-grade-eyes, did nothing. I felt violated and disappointed.  My excitement to be in the classroom evaporated quickly.  I don't want that for my students ever.  I want my classroom to be safe and nurturing.  OH I just thought of another memory!  I was never good at math (go figure).  I had to work at it and it didn't come easily.  Until I was in the 8th grade, NONE of my teachers (in my eyes) helped me.  I was that kid with a million questions, in part, because I didn't get it.  Until 8th grade.  All of a sudden it clicked, and I knew I wanted to help other kids like me 'get it."
 
And my favorite clothes and shoe stores.  I am probably not the person to look to for advice.  EVERY.single.day of the school year I am wearing tennis shoes.  I am a MUCH better teacher when my feet are comfortable.  Along with my tennis shoes, I wear khaki pants every.single.day (except for jean days).  I LOVE the Lee Comfort Fit khakis.  I am in the floor and all over all day long.  I have to be comfortable, and my pants have to have pockets.  These are the perfect pants for me.  And, I am soooooo not a fussy or stylish person.  I would wear a tshirt every day if I could (which of course, I cannot).  I like polo shirts because they cover up my top, are long enough, and don't hug my middle. 
 
Thanks for reading :)
 
 

2 comments:

TheElementary MathManiac said...

Hi Erin,
I also teach math all day and it is hard to imagine going back to a self contained room and teaching everything to the same kids all day. I get to see kids from Kindergarten up through grade six every day and it is awesome.

Tara
The Math Maniac

Melanie said...

Hi! I found you blog through th Linky! I like to be comfortable at school, too! I can't believe some people teach all day in heels!

Post a Comment