Thursday, July 4, 2013

Interactive Thursday Throwdown

Today I'm linking up with I'm Loving Lit for Thursday Throwdown.  This linky is focusing on ways to make learning more interactive.  Click the picture below to go to her blog.

 
This is my starting my eighth year of teaching sixth grade math.  All of these years have been in the same building, but teaching different classes of math.   I have taught a core math class coving all content.  I have taught math classes covering only geometry and statistics (while other teachers covered the rest).  And, last year, I started teaching two period of pull-out special education math classes and four periods of pull-out math interventions.  FAVORITE YEAR EVER!  The coolest part is that I get to do it again.  Its kind of like kids...you trial and error with the first one, and then get to fix all of your mistakes with the second one...or at least that's how I think it is.  I don't know...I have twins :)  Both get the trial and error from the beginning.  Anyways, next year is my get it right year.  Number one thing to change is starting an interactive notebook.  I'm still working on what it is going to look like.  My biggest problem is that I didn't ask for it on the school supply list that posted over the summer.  I cannot make changes once school starts.  Soooo, I have to buy them.  Spiral notebooks are 17 cents. Composition notebooks are 50 cents apiece.  Financially, spiral fits my budget better since I have to buy so many.  But, which one is more practical for the classroom???  Feedback please!
 
Now, how do I make my classroom more interactive???  I am a firm believe that if the kids make it (experience it, play with it, listen to music, watch videos, etc.), they will learn.  In a resource or intervention setting, these kids already have difficulty with the content and most have short attention spans.  How do I battle that?  This year, I'm going to focus on mini-lessons and using math-workshop two days per week. 
 
This last year I found my favorite.video.ever on Youtube.  Youtube is a GEM!  Preview the video first (lesson learned).  But, type in the concept followed by song (example: PEMDAS song) and see what comes up.  My favorite video that my kids ask for all the time is by a teacher and is linked below.
We listened to is daily and referred back to it when working problems (what's the job of parenthesis???  hugging up numbers).  To much fun :)
 
 
 

5 comments:

Michele said...

Erin~
Very cute video! Have you seen the one with Ron Clark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smdNMQZKG8

It is sung to Rhianna's Umbrella. Pretty entertaining.

Happy Fourth of July!
Michele

Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

Danielle said...

Composition Notebooks over Spirals because they LAST ALL YEAR! I give my school supply list out the first week of school because the students don't know what teacher they will have until day 1. Unfortunately you can't do that, because it gives me all summer to plan. I wait until office depot/office max have the gigantic school supply sales where stuff is deeply discounted...and I grab my husband, mother, sister and make them purchase everything until the limit, and then we go to a different store until I have everything I need! I was able to get composition notebooks for 10 cents last year...good luck! I'll be blogging about the deals when I find them, so follow me here: livelovemath.blogspot.com

Ms.M from Teachingisagift said...

I popped over here from the Middle School Bloglovin blog hop. I already linked up with that fantastic Bloglovin Hop but I wanted to invite you to come and link up AGAIN to another Bloglovin LInky! http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/2013/07/back-to-school-with-bloglovin-blog-hop.html. You can download a great freebie and enter to win your own personal laminator!
Sidney
Teachingisagift

Im Lovin Lit said...

Loooove the video. Aren't you so glad there are such creative people in this world who are willing to share their awesome talents with us - and our students?! By the way, I don't know HOW you do it with twins.. I *am* a twin and thank God every day that mine came one at a time! :)
Erin
I'm Lovin Lit

Fourth Grade Flipper said...

I would definitely go with composition notebooks! Spirals don't last as well. I love hour idea of math workshop 2 days a week and would to hear more about what your workshop would look like. I am reading Guided Math now. Loving your blog and can't wait to read more! I am with you on interactive notebooks too! I need to try them!
Holly
Fourth Grade Flipper

Post a Comment