Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Back to School Goals

Back to school...today is my last full day at home before I have to be on the go this week(finish up classroom, school shopping, doctors appointments).   Next Monday starts official work days..cannot believe it is already here.  I'm excited about going back and being in a routine, but I LOOOOOOVE being able to go to the bathroom when I need to go.

Anyways, today's post is linked up with I {heart} Recess for the Back to School Goals edition :)

 
 
Personal:  I am a much happier and patient person when I have ample sleep...like 8+ hours.  Functioning on 6 hours = a tired and cranky teacher, which doesn't help my kids at all.  I need lots of sleep and lots of patience with three resource math classes and three math intervention classes.
 
Organization:  I am a data nerd!  I love data.  I love to analyze data.  I love to help my kids analyze data so they can improve.  I teach special ed, so data is critical.  I teach interventions, so data is critical.  I am notorious, however, for letting my IEP data back up a couple of weeks, and having to play catch up.  It takes FOREVER to play catch-up, and will take even longer this year with 30 IEPs to manage.
 
Planning:  I know what I am teaching all year, with specific learning targets for each day.  I am a HUGE planner....except when it comes to the nitty gritty of the next day.  I wait until the night before to plan my math lessons.  With three preps this year, that might prove to be a daunting task.  My kids are always engaged and definitely learn, but I just have such a hard time pre-planning.  I can't wrap my brain around a lesson that is three days out when I have today's lesson to teach. Must.do.better.
 
Professional: Kentucky is rolling out a new teacher evaluation system based on The Framework for Teaching by Charlotte Danielson.  Find out more HERE.  It truly is an exciting time to be an educator in Kentucky.  Talking about teacher effectiveness makes me SOOOOO excited because it is critical for student learning.  I was selected as a Hope Street Group KY State Teacher Fellow and am a part of giving teachers a voice in regards to the Professional Growth Effectiveness System (PGES).  HSG is a national organization that I am super pumped to be a part of...learn more HERE.  In order to help teachers understand PGES and get their feedback, I've got to know it like I know the back of my hand. 
 
Students: Teachers sometimes forget that these little people sitting in their seats are just that, little people.  They have brain farts (especially middle schoolers) and act goofy or forget a pencil.  I'm going to remember that my kids are 11, not 25.
 
Motto: Since I teacher special education and interventions, it is critical that students develop a concrete understanding of mathematical concepts.  So, one of my favorite movies is "Field of Dreams." So, my motto is an adaptation from the move quote, "If you build it, they will come."  Every day in every lesson I'm going to try to remember my adaptation: "If they make it, they will learn."
 
Now, on to tackling my FINAL to-do list of the summer...
 
 

4 comments:

Courtney Dimmitt said...

I definitely agree with the part about remembering they are 11. I struggle with that sometimes. I get frustrated sometimes, and I need to just take a step back and reevaluate. Thanks for the reminder!

Michele said...

Erin,
I agree about remembering that my students are only 11, and that they forget somethings.
I'm looking forward to hearing how your school year goes with the Danielson model. We use that in my school district as well.
Enjoy your week!
Michele
Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

Kaitlyn said...

I'm and 8-10 hour a night person myself...I love sleep! My district also uses the Danielson model and I got to know it pretty well this year with 4 observations!

:) Kaitlyn
Smiles and Sunshine

Dixie Selva said...

Hey Erin! You're my hero and here's why...
1. You teach 6th grade, which when I think of my memories of 6th grade I just think of the most awkward stage EVER for kids!!

and

2. You have TWINS!! I can barely keep up with my 10 month old...amazing!! :)

Dixie
Teachin' Little Texans

Post a Comment