Friday, June 14, 2013

Calendar Math

I have scoured the web, pinterest and blog-stalked to learn more about Calendar Math.  It is an elementary idea, so I needed some  inspiration to implement this into my 6th grade math class.  I found that inspiration at Teaching in Room 6.  I linked that to all of the posts she has written on Calendar Math.  I teach resource math classes and intervention math classes, so the most important thing my students need is repetition.  They need more repetition to learn and master a concept than most.  So, what better way to do this than start with Calendar Math.  Below is a preview.  The link to download from Google Docs is underneath of that.

How am I going to incorporate Calendar Math into my day?  I teach three sections of resource math class to students with disabilities, so I am going to have to structure BIG time at the beginning of the year...then, hopefully (fingers crossed) won't have to do so much intentional instruction on how to fill it out.  I am thinking that next year I am going to have some center-like stations going on to reinforce our big ideas for the week.  Calendar Math is going to be one of those centers.  With only 10 kids per class, I'm thinking that I'll be able to rotate through three centers per day.  I have about 50 minutes per block, so this might be a stretch...but, we'll see

Centers:
1--Calendar Math
2--Computer Work:  I have set of laptops available to me on a daily basis (LUCKY) because I am teaching the resource classes.  Additionally, my school has purchased licenses for all 330 sixth graders to have a log-in for IXL.com (ah-ma-zing).  So, this center is going to be for practicing the skills that we've worked on that week or previously.
3--Games/Activities to reinforce concepts from whole-group instruction time.

Hope you enjoy my first upload :)  Leave some feedback about it.

 

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Happy Friday!
 


1 comments:

kbenedick said...

I like it! Last year, I did the same for my fifths and sixths. As the year progressed, I added in decimals, prime/composite, elapsed time, area and perimeter to the mix.

Post a Comment